You may have widely heard that asbestos is mixed into plaster and this leaves one slightly concerned about it in our own homes. It is a toxic mineral, and prolonged exposure to it can lead to a lot of dangers.
Its embedding in the body for a long period of time can lead to some serious diseases, like asbestosis and mesothelioma. Let's find out the effects of asbestos in plaster.
Asbestos is a mineral that has been in use for about two centuries now, and its presence can be found in around three to five thousand different types of products. Many manufacturing industries have used it as a component for their products, and many home appliances contain traces of this mineral as well.
In the long run this would prove to be very harmful for the human body. It was medically known that if it is inhaled or ingested in the body, it becomes embedded in the tissues. And since the mineral is toxic in nature, this was not a very pleasant observation.
Inhalation of the needle-like fibers of asbestos also results in it getting lined along the lungs, and the inflammation caused by these fibers lead to a lot of serious diseases for the individual. Hence, this was met with a lot of disbelief and surprise, not to mention concern for the safety and well-being of the people living in a home.
Properties and Uses
It is quite a unique mineral, and its properties have made it possible to include it in the manufacturing of many different kinds of products. It is highly resistant to high temperatures, extreme weather conditions, and wear and tear.
This was the primary reason why its use in ceilings and walls was quite common. It can also be spun and woven into a variety of forms, as the crystals of the mineral are very long, silky, and flexible.
The uses of asbestos have been equally varied, owing to its incredibly flexible properties. The ancient Greeks used it by weaving it into oil lamp wicks, tablecloths, and funeral shrouds. At the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, it was used as an insulator for various engines, boilers, and industrial pipes.
Pretty soon, it became popular, because it acted as a great insulator against sound and fire. A lot of office buildings, public buildings and schools made use of it to make the walls and ceilings stronger and more resistant to extreme conditions of heat and to prevent sound from passing through.
As more and more people started learning about the asbestos health effects and its potential dangers, its use along with plaster became less and less common. The health risks involved with the mineral induced many people to turn their backs on the product's presence in many appliances, and since the 1980s its use became incredibly diminished.
Very few products were manufactured as a result, and any products that did contain it were subject to the Hazardous Products Act, which regulated and monitored the levels of asbestos in products. Some products though, like brake linings and clutch facings, still use it as they are unable to work properly with substitute.
It is very difficult to simply look at a building now and ascertain if it contains this dangerous mineral. But as a rule of thumb, any building that was built before the 80's, will most certainly contain some traces of it in them.
This cannot be solved unless the building itself is demolished. For safety precautions though, one can find and seal off the areas in the walls and ceilings from where its dust could escape. Getting a contractor to do this job in your home is highly advisable.