Eyeglasses are an aid for people with poor eyesight. Recently, they have evolved to become a fashion statement. It is important to maintain and clean them to protect your eyesight from any damage.
When you purchase glasses, opticians recommend buying a cleaning kit as well. The kit contains a cleaning solution (mostly in gel form), a specifically designed cloth, and a case. Using the contents of the kit is effective, but it turns out to be an expensive choice when used frequently. There are few other cheaper ways to clean lenses, which are equally effective and can be used on a regular basis.
Cleaning frames is simpler as you can wash them with soap water and wipe them dry. The tougher part is maintaining the lenses.
Using a Solution
- Rinse the lenses with a mild soap under warm running water to clear any dirt or oil on them.
- Use a soft cotton cloth to dry your lenses.
- Apply the cleaning solution or gel on the lenses.
- Wipe the lenses with a cotton cloth once again by rubbing it in a circular motion.
- Place your lenses under warm running water.
- Use a mild soap to clean the glass, wipe the soap off the lenses by moving your fingers in a circular motion, and rinse with warm water.
- Use a soft cotton towel to dry the lenses and after all the water on the lenses is clear, clean the frame.
- Clean the nose pads using a toothbrush to remove any accumulated grime.
- Fill up a sink with warm water, and form lather using a mild soap.
- Dip your glasses in this soapy water and move them around.
- Place your glasses under a running tap so that the soapy water is washed away. Ensure that both sides of the glasses are exposed to the running water.
- Using a damp cloth, clean the lenses. Avoid rubbing too harshly, be gentle.
- Once again rinse your glasses under running water, and use warm water this time.
- Wipe them off with a soft cotton cloth in a circular motion, and clear any spots left behind
- You will need a small pump bottle, preferably of 1 oz.
- Fill this bottle with very a small amount of rubbing alcohol.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with water.
- Add 3 to 4 drops of liquid dish detergent to this mixture. Shake the bottle gently for all ingredients to mix well.
- Spray this on your glasses, and use a soft cotton cloth to wipe the solution off.
- Add a couple of drops of vinegar on each of your lenses.
- Use a soft cotton cloth to wipe it off .
- You will notice your glasses have become crystal clear, as the dirt on the glasses dissolves due to the acetic acid present in vinegar.
- Using vinegar is a cheap and a chemical-free way to clean glasses.
Tips to Maintain Lenses
- Remember to clean your glasses every night before going to bed.
- To ensure that they stay clean, purchase a case, and keep your glasses in the case when not in use.
- When your glasses are not in use, do not place them face down on any surface as it could lead to scratches on the lenses.
- While removing glasses, do it with both hands so that the frame stays intact and does not loosen up or bend.
- If your frame has screws, tighten them regularly to maintain the frame.
- Never clean your glasses with paper or tissues. Always use a cotton cloth.
- While wiping lenses with a cloth, be gentle and never rub them too hard.
Cleaning your glasses regularly using any of the aforementioned methods will ensure that your lenses stay intact for a longer time and your vision is protected.