Installing mini blinds on the windows adds an attractive and sophisticated look to the room. People opt for these, as they are more convenient to use than other types of shades. You can choose these blinds depending on your room decor from the variety of colors and materials available in the market. The amount of light entering the room can be controlled using these blinds which is not possible while using traditional curtains.
It is quite easy to maintain mini blinds, provided you dust or wipe them regularly. They will not retain their original color if a lot of dirt gets deposited on them over time. In case this does happen, the two following methods will help you wash them effectively.
Before washing, it is recommended that you remove all the dust particles from both sides of the blinds by using a vacuum cleaner. Ensure that you vacuum the blinds across the slats to avoid damage.
Method 1 - Washing Indoors
- Take the blinds off the window carefully.
- Open them to their natural size and flatten each row.
- In a tub full of lukewarm water, soak the blinds for a few hours. This will extract a majority of the dirt.
- Then, remove the blinds from the tub and place them on the bathroom floor. Scrub each row using a brush and sponge.
- Wash the blinds with clean water and drain them as much as possible before taking them out of the bathroom.
- Place some towels on the floor and allow the blinds to dry on them for some time.
- Rehang them on the window after they have completely dried.
Method 2 - Washing Outdoors
- Remove the blinds from the window and hang them on the clothesline in order to expose every row.
- Make a solution of ammonia and water in a bucket.
- Apply the solution on both the sides of the blinds using a sponge and allow it to stand for a few minutes.
- Soak the sponge into the solution again and scrub off the dirt from the blinds. With the help of a hose pipe, wash them thoroughly and leave them to dry.
Points to Remember
- After washing the blinds, rehang them only after they dry completely.
- While they are drying, make sure that the slats are not folded or intertwined. They must be separated in order to let them dry properly.
- To maintain the blinds, you must wipe them with a spray solution and a soft cloth on a weekly basis.