These days there is not even one household which does not have a shower. It has become a necessity rather than a luxury (as was thought some decades ago). Shower stalls come in many designs and shapes. A proper shower stall includes taps, normally two in number, overhead shower and a shower base, which is also referred to as shower pan.
There are a few types of shower bases namely built-on-site tile bases, custom precast, standard precast bases and tile ready. These shower bases can be purchased as a solid unit from hardware stores. However, you can also build your own custom shower pan. The cost of a custom shower pan may vary according to the model of the shower you are planning to install in your bathroom.
Instructions for Installing a Custom Shower Pan
While remodeling a bathroom, it is essential to change every part of this place. A shower base is necessary as it facilitates easy water drainage without spoiling the floor of the bathroom. Made of waterproof material, the shower pan channelizes the water to the drain in the bathroom. It also prevents water seepage into the floor. You can choose from a variety of shower pans or build your own customized pan from scratch. With just the basic skills you can build your own custom shower pan in your bathroom.
Things You Will Require
To build a shower pan you will require some materials that can be purchased from any hardware store. Here are some things which you will need to buy for the installation of the shower base.
- Plywood or tiles
- Waterproof shower membrane liner
- Mortar trowel
- Shower pan membrane liner adhesive
- Utility knife
- Felt paper
- Wire lath
- Wire cutters
- Backer board
- Staple gun
- Spirit level
- Tape measure
- Circular saw
- Roofing nails
- 2 or 4 foot level
- The first step, by default, before installing a shower base or any other addition, is determining the size of the pan after measuring the shower stall. Make sure the pan is equal in dimensions of the floor. You can use a spirit level to measure the base. Choose the appropriate material required for the shower pan.
- Once you have measured prepare the site where you are planning to install the shower base. For this, remove the old base and level the surface. Next cut the plywood or tiles (you can choose any material) as per the measurements and lay them on the shower floor.
- Create a slight slope in the middle of the floor, so that water does not stagnate inside the shower. For this use a sheet of felt paper and lay it on the floor. Secure the ends of the felt material with the help of a staple gun. Spread the mortar on top to raise its level and create a slope in the middle. Cut the felt paper using a utility knife in the place where the drain is located.
- After creating the slope for drainage, place plywood above the mortar. Fasten the plywood sheets with the help of a hammer and roofing nails. You can also use colored or monochromatic tiles for a distinguished look to the shower stall.
- Lay the waterproof shower membrane on the plywood and stick it with the help of shower pan membrane liner adhesive. If required, also drape the side walls of the shower with the membrane. Leave the floor and walls undisturbed so that the adhesive dries completely.
- Spread the remaining mortar using a trowel on the walls and install the backer board, till the floor. After this spread the base mortar and install the ceramic tiles. Allow the mortar to set for about 3 to 4 days, following which your shower is ready to be used.
You should also be aware of the shower pan repair method, in case you encounter any problem. So you see customer shower panel installation is easily done and can also be assembled from scratch. In case you require any help, you can get in touch with a professional who will help you design and install the custom shower pan.