Rain gutters, which are also called eaves trough, are mainly responsible to drain rainwater from the roof of your house or apartment and having them properly installed is a necessity.
- Drill machine
- Screwdriver bits
- Hacksaw blade
- Measuring tape
- Rust-proof screws
- Silicon caulk
- Caulking gun
- Chalk line
- Carpenter's level
- One string level
- Gutter sections and other components such as the elbows, end pieces, corners, and drop outlets
Now, take a look at the layout, so that you can estimate the number of components you would need to attach. Install brackets after every 20 inches or so to properly distribute the weight load.
Fixing Gutter Sections
- Before fixing the sections, mark a spot about ½ or 1 inch beneath the roof edge, away from the downspout as well as towards the downspout.
- See that these points are marked properly by checking them with the help of a string level.
- Now, the next step is to determine the slope, to enable smooth flow of water through it.
- Calculate the slope from the very first marking at the downspout end.
- Mark these distances with the help of a chalk towards both the ends.
- Now, go at the downspout end and install the gutter components such as the brackets, corners, etc., with the help of a drilling machine, screwdriver bit, and some rust proof screws.
- Take a ladder and set up the sections in the brackets and connect all of them with the connectors. See that you adjust the sections by cutting them with the help of a hacksaw blade
- In order to avoid leakage from the pipes, take some silicone caulk and spread it over the length of the gutter section through the caulking machine.
- Check all the fixtures and attachments to ensure that nothing is loose.
- Have the elbow fixed beneath the drop outlet, and further measure and cut the downspout. Fix it at the bottom of the drop outlet.
- Finally, attach mounting brackets to the downspout in order to hold it in place.
A suggestion is, to have someone amongst your family members or neighborhood to help. Being a DIY job does not mean that you have to work alone. This is because you are going to work on a ladder and sometimes your hands may not reach the difficult spots. If you think that you can do it on your own, make sure that you take all the necessary precautions.