These air conditioning systems comprise two basic components: an indoor unit and an outdoor unit. The indoor unit contains an air handling unit, an evaporator, and a blower, whereas the outdoor unit contains a condenser and a compressor.
The installation of DAC is quite easy. You can install it yourself by following the instructions given on the manual or get it installed by an expert. The outdoor unit is installed outside the room and is placed on a solid surface so that it can remain stable. The indoor unit that delivers cool air is installed high on a wall or ceiling.
A small 3-inch opening is made in the exterior wall through which a pair of refrigerant lines connecting the two units pass. One of the refrigerant line delivers electricity while the other takes away condensate.
Ductless air conditioners have many advantages over the central air conditioners.
- Its installation is very simple, easy, and fast, since no ductwork is required.
- It doesn't use up window space or require large openings in the walls as the window or central air conditioners do. Thus, it doesn't pose any security risk as the central air conditioners do.
- Since the compressor of a DAC is placed outside the house, the noise of the compressor operating unit is eliminated from the indoor. Also, the outdoor unit of a ductless air conditioning system is small and quiet as compared to central or window air conditioning system.
- A DAC is a cost-effective choice to central or window air conditioning system. They have hand-held remote control, which controls temperature and louver directions. By using these remote controls you can cool specific areas of your home during a specific period and thus save your electricity bill.
- These systems have no ducts and therefore they don't have energy losses, which are associated with the ductwork of central air systems.
- DAC system provides you more comfort than a central or window air conditioning system, as it is more efficient and has more cooling capacity than other systems.
- Some models of ductless air conditioners have built in filters, which are capable of removing larger allergens. Thus, they purify the air. Also, the filters used in ductless air conditioners can be cleaned and used again unlike the filters of central air conditioners, which requires to be replaced.
Due to the advantages that the ductless air conditioners have over central air conditioners, they are becoming more and more popular these days.