Ugg boots have become popular luxury and high fashion items and every fashionista longs to own a pair. These boots are made of sheepskin and fleece and they are not only high on comfort, but are stylish and chic as well. The term ugg comes from the word 'ugly'. As the inside of these boots are lined with fleece, they are ideal for keeping your feet warm during the winters. As with any other footwear, ugg boots are also prone to dirt, stains and normal wear and tear. Although they are very cozy and comfortable, these boots require very high maintenance and regular cleaning if you want to enjoy wearing them for many years. To retain the beauty of your uggs, here is a guide on how to clean uggs.
How to Clean Ugg Boots at Home
If you are attempting to clean a pair of ugg boots at home, then let me tell you that it can be a bit dicey. If you use the wrong cleaning products or the wrong techniques for cleaning your boots, you risk damaging them. Commercial Ugg cleaners are available in the market, but they can be a bit on the expensive side. So, if your budget does not permit you to opt for commercial ugg cleaning products, you can utilize household products to clean your ugg boots. Given below is the list of things required for cleaning ugg boots, followed by the procedure.
- Baking powder
- Plastic Container
- Suede brush
- Cold water
- Paper napkins
- Good quality leather cleaner
- First scrap off all dirt and grime from your ugg boots with a suede brush. This will ensure that you get rid of all the dried mud and dirt.
- When all superficial dirt has been removed, lightly moisten the outer surface of the boots with cold water.
- Make sure that at no point of time you immerse the boots fully in water. This will damage the inner lining of the boots and make them lose their shape and become lumpy.
- Next, mix equal parts of leather cleaner with water in a small container. Dip a piece of clean sponge in this mixture and wipe the boots with it.
- If the mixture in the container turns excessively dirty, throw away this mixture and make another batch of cleaner by diluting the leather cleaner with water.
- Once you have done this, again dampen a sponge and wipe the boots to take out all traces of the cleaner.
- Take some paper napkins, stuff them in your boots and put them out to dry. The paper napkins stuffed inside the boots will help them retain their shape.
- Now place the boots in a dry and dark place to dry. Avoid drying your ugg boots in direct sunlight as it might lead to discoloration, fading and cracking.
- Ideally the boots should be left to dry for twenty-four hours, but if you are in a hurry and need to wear them, you can dry them with the help of a hairdryer, set at a medium setting.
When your boots are fully dry, you will need to deodorize them. Mix 3 tablespoons of cornflour with 3 tablespoons of baking powder and sprinkle them inside the boots. The baking powder will absorb unpleasant odor, if any. If you like, you can also spray the inside of your boots with your favorite perfume.
How to Clean Uggs with Vinegar
Ugg boots can also be cleaned with the help of vinegar if you do not want to use leather cleaning agents. For this you need to make a mixture of 4 tablespoons of vinegar with 5 tablespoons of water. First dampen the exterior portion of your ugg boots with cold water, then with the help of a clean sponge, apply the vinegar mixture on the boots. Once you have applied this vinegar mixture on the boots, let it dry for 5 - 6 minutes. In another bowl, pour some water; take a fresh sponge and rub your boots once again to remove the cleaner. You can also use a toothbrush with soft bristles to get rid of any tough stains on your boots. Put some old newspapers inside the boots and let them dry for a whole day.
The most important thing to remember if you want to clean uggs without ruining them is, never to put your uggs inside a washing machine or dryer. Uggs should only be hand washed or you might damage the delicate material of your ugg boots. Though expensive, there are cleaning products available in the market that are specially designed to clean ugg boots. When you wear your ugg boots after cleaning them, you might find them to be a bit snug and tight. Do not worry as they will stretch back when you wear them. If you follow these instructions on cleaning uggs, you will be able to enjoy your pricey ugg boots for several years to come.