As you know, indoor pollution is more severe than what goes on outside. There are several reasons for indoor pollution, and the most serious of them is mold growth. Bathroom tiles, ceilings, attics, basements, furniture, carpets, sinks, faucets, and many other places which provide a damp and warm environment are the ones that are affected by mold growth.
There are several types of molds in existence, the most harmful of all is the black mold. It produces by-products called mycotoxins. These are toxic substances which, on making their way into the system of humans and pets, interfere with the normal functioning of the body. This results in a number of painful and unpleasant symptoms in the affected person.
Mold Exposure Symptoms
The symptoms that occur because of mold exposure tend to mimic those of other underlying medical conditions. This is why many people are not fully diagnosed with the real problem. The common symptoms include the following.
- Watery eyes, hives, sneezing, itching, burning eyes, and skin rashes
- Increased risk of cancer
- Hot flashes
- Increased infection
- Poor concentration, impaired memory, lack of presence of mind
- Puffy eyes, red eyes
- Lethargic feeling even after having slept for 7 hours
- Increased acne breakout
- Runny nose, stuffy nose, itchy nose
- Abnormal taste in the mouth (it causes lack loss of appetite)
- Shortness of breath
- Suffocated feeling
- Difficulty in eating or drinking or both
Tips on Making Your Basement Mold Free
The methods that have been described here for getting rid of mold in the basement are also good enough to manage the infestation in other places such as bathroom tiles, showers, ceilings, etc.
Spray the solution all over the mold on the basement walls. Do not miss even an inch. Now wait for some time (1 hour is usually recommended), and work with a scrub on the wall. If it is black mold, then you may have to sweat for some time. Other types of mold do not take as long to come off the surface.
After having scrubbed the surface, rinse off the wall with a soapy solution. Ensure that the colonies have been totally wiped off. Use a washcloth to clean the surface and make it dry. It is advisable to use a blower to dry the surface, as basement mold does not take time to strike back.
● Use tea tree oil for basement mold cleaning. This stuff is antifungal by nature. Since mold is a kind of fungi, the use of tea tree oil to clean mold gives good results. Simply squirt some of the oil on the wall and let it cover it inch by inch. The oil will not only kill the mold colonies, but its strong aroma will also get rid of the moldy smell around.
● Experts usually advice against black mold removal with bleach. This is because, first, this product does not help in killing the mold, and second, it is harmful to kids and pets. It is thus better to go for a safer alternative such as vinegar or tea tree oil.
● Make a solution of water (4 parts), vinegar (2 parts), hydrogen peroxide (2 parts), and boric acid (1 part). This solution makes the process of removing mold from the basement an easy task. Spray it on the wall, wait for some time, and scrub off the colonies. Do not forget to wipe off the surface to keep it dry.
The given cited methods usually work well in getting rid of a mold infestation. However, if you notice that they are not helping, then take this as an indication of seeking help from a professional.