A portable generator is great to have around when there is a black out in the city or in the town where you are living. Although there are so many benefits of using a generator, you have to be aware of the hazards it might create. There is always the risk of electric shocks, carbon monoxide poisoning, and even fire. There are some important tips that can be quite effective in preventing any such hazardous accidents.
- While using an electric power generator, there is always the risk of an electric shock. To prevent this from happening, make sure that it is dry at all time. Especially in winter or rainy months, extra care has to be taken to ensure that it is appropriately covered and kept on a dry surface. Also remember to never touch it with wet hands.
- It is like any other power source, but without safety devices to protect you from harm and electrocution. To avoid any accidents, make sure that all connections are kept clean. Avoid tangled wires and messy connections.
- They are loud and noisy, and this can damage the eardrums, so always make sure you cover your ears while working on it.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning is a big risk. Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas emitted by generators, and inhaling this in large quantities can be fatal. Never ever place a generator inside the house or near any place where people or animals reside. Keep it outside and away from any place that will allow carbon monoxide to enter the house. Also remember that if you are considering to place it inside, where the windows will be open, make sure that it prevents carbon monoxide poisoning. The best option is to keep it outside, in a separate shed, at a safe distance from the house.
- Never place it in a garage even if you intend the door to be left open.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors all over the house, especially in bedrooms, to detect carbon monoxide levels. Also remember to replace the batteries in these as often as needed.
- Use only superior rated power cords to connect the generator to appliances and make sure these cords are replaced as and when needed. While connecting, remember to connect only the essential appliances and not all of them, as this could lead to overload.
- Before shutting it down, remember to turn off all the connected appliances, as the failure to do so could damage them both.
- Remember that it gets hot while running, so if you need to refuel it, always turn it off and wait for it to cool down. Make sure that it is at a safe temperature before you refuel it. This is because the intense heat can be inflammable and can lead to a fire. This also means that you need to make sure that none of the combustible fuel containers are left or stored near it.
- Take extra care to keep the heat-generating appliances away from it.
- If it has been used during a storm, take the trouble to clear debris and water, as it could lead to a fire or electric shock.
- Always keep children and pets away from it.