Cleaning Travertine Tiles
Travertine tiles once installed, can last for long periods of time. Their durability and elegance can be maintained, provided you clean them correctly. Here are the main steps involved in cleaning them:
First of all, the floor needs sweeping with a broom made of soft material. You can also clean it with a vacuum cleaner fitted with glider for this purpose. The wall tiles can be mopped with the help of a clean and dry microfiber cloth. This should be done regularly so that the dust and dirt particles do not enter the tiny pores of the tiles.
The usual tile cleaners cannot be used on these tiles. While selecting cleaning products, opt for those which have neutral pH cleanser. The ideal tile cleaners are the mild soaps that are suitable for any stone surface. Read the manufacturer's instructions before using it on the floor.
While cleaning the travertine tiles with liquids, be very careful as its porous surface readily absorbs liquids and can cause harm to the surface. Prepare a solution by mixing the cleaner in a bucket of clean water as per the manufacturer's instructions.
Take a clean microfiber mop, dip it in the cleaning solution, wring out the excess water from the mop, and use it to wipe off the grime and dirt from the tiles.
Take a piece of soft cloth and make it damp by dipping it in clean water and wring out the extra water. Mop the tiles with this to get rid of the residues left behind by the cleaners. Lastly, dry the tiles thoroughly using a dry cloth. This wet mopping of the tiles should be done once a week.
Tips for Maintenance and Care
Here are some valuable suggestions regarding the care and maintenance of travertine tiles:
- Travertine tiles are highly susceptible to staining, and hence, sealant should be applied to prevent any unwanted marks on the tiles. It should be applied at least once a year. Use clear epoxy resin for this purpose. This will maintain the look and can give a glossy finish to the tiles. Also, a sealed tile surface does not require heavy cleaning very often.
- Polishing the tiles is a must once a month to keep its smooth glossy shine intact. You should use the floor polishes that are available in the market specifically for stones.
- Clean any kind of liquid spills from the travertine tiles as soon as possible to prevent any kind of damage to the floor surface.
- Do not use any kind of bathroom cleaners or grout cleaners on the tiles as they may have acidic ingredients. Abrasive cleaners or cleaning pads should also be strictly avoided.
- The only disadvantage of travertine is that it can turn dull when it comes in contact with any acidic substance like coffee, wine, or juice. So for a better protection of the tiles, use area rugs or nonslip mats on the floor.
If you strictly follow the mentioned instructions, you can prevent the tiles from getting a scratchy, dull, and discolored look, and can keep them visually appealing year after year.