The process of water softening converts hard water into a form that is suitable for daily use. In the process of water softening, calcium and magnesium present in hard water is replaced by sodium. However, sodium too creates issues for people with health problem (hypertension and heart problems). There are few easy ways to check whether your water softener is experiencing any problems. First of all, hard water doesn't allow the formation of lather from soap. If you make use of hard water for washing hair, they feel sticky. The soap generates scum instead of lather. Causes behind these and many such problems of water softeners are dealt in this article.
Installation of water softeners helps in resolving the issue of hard water. However, problems related to plumbing might arise. The bigger water softening systems generally create problems in the functioning of the plumbing system. Flow of water on the other hand is restricted by small water softening systems. Hard water from small water softening systems could leak and enter the plumbing system of your house. Heavy metals leached by the piping from softened water might create problems for the plumbing system as a whole.
People with health problems avoid the use of water that contains salts. Presence of sodium in water could be harmful for their health. There are chances of occurrence of heart problems and hypertension in such people. To avoid this problem, one could think of using a bypass pipe. The pipe would provide cooking and drinking water which is not treated with sodium. There is also the expensive option of using potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride for filtering.
Most Common Problems
The common problems associated with water softeners are those pertaining to improper functioning of motor, inefficient water softening, clogging of tubes, etc. Here is more about such problems and their solutions.
- In many cases, water doesn't get softened efficiently. Possible causes behind these problems could be many. However, taking the following step would save time and money. Firstly, the tank should be flushed. One should then check whether there is a need to add salt. The next step in this activity is adjusting the timer in a proper manner to increase the regeneration frequency.
- There may be complaints about the motor not working at all. Before calling up a professional for repair work, one should at least check whether the power supply is off/on and the plug inserted in the socket.
- Problem in the flow of brine line is also of common occurrence. In order to resolve this problem, one should flush the brine line. The filter screen and injector should then be examined. It must be replaced if any problems are found. The brine line should also be checked for any kind of damage or breaks. An ideal pressure for proper functioning of brine line should be maintained. It is advisable to refer to the water softener manual to know the ideal brine line pressure.
- The iron content present in water could be too high i.e. it might exceed the limit. In such cases, the water might turn reddish. The first step to be taken is that of checking the filter followed by replacing it, if necessary. The position of bypass valve should also be checked. Checking the plumbing leaks is one of the important precautions to be taken.
- Crust formation in the brine tank is a problem of common occurrence. The crust is formed as a result of deposition of salts. Washing the tank with soap water helps in the removal of this crust.
The water softener problems discussed in this article, should help in understanding minor as well as major issues associated with this device. Finally, one thing that helps in keeping most problems at bay is regular cleaning. Taking proper care of equipment prevents its wear and tear and restores it to its original condition. One should take good care of their water softening equipment in order to prevent the problems from occurring.