Heaters are a necessity in chilly weather conditions, isn't it? One cannot imagine how cold it would get in the room if these heaters were not invented. Heaters are one thing that have made life easy. Among the variety of heaters in the market, infrared is one which is in great demand these days. The working of infrared heaters is based on radiation therapy, which we would briefly discuss later. The use of these heaters is safe if proper precautions are followed.
How they Work
Infrared heaters are based on the simple principle of radiation. Each and every object (temperature above 0° centigrade) around us radiates heat (the amount depends on the temperature of the body) in the form of electromagnetic waves. Infrared waves are a kind of electromagnetic waves, invisible to the naked eye. As the temperature of the body rises, the amount of heat it emits also increases.
If there are two bodies kept at the same temperature, the body at a higher temperature will transfer heat to the body at a lower temperature, and this is the logic behind the working of these heaters. They heat up to a specific required temperature (electricity or gas source is used to heat up the heater) and transfer this heat energy to the surrounding air molecules. These molecules absorb this energy, subsequently travel to us, and we feel the heat!
There are plenty of reasons why infrared heaters should be preferred over other heating devices such as furnaces. The main advantage is that they are very instant in the heat supply, the reason being - radiation works fast. You don't need to wait for a long time for the room to heat up. Heaters that are fine-tuned to heat water for heat generation, are far more efficient and would also reduce the burden on your pockets. There are many different brands available, that differ as per their capacity to heat up a room.
Apart from the price, one should consider the safety aspect of the heaters along with the warranty, and the area the heater can heat. Some of the popular brands that always figure in most reviews are:
- Holmes Quartz Tower HQH319-U
- Optimus H-5210 Infrared Quartz Heater
- Soleus Air MS-09 Oscillating Radiant Heater
- ComfortZone BIO-1500PC
- RedCore 1500 Infrared Space Heater
- iheater 1500 Watt Quartz Infrared Portable Heater
Are They Safe?
Now comes the most important aspect concerning infrared heaters - the safety aspect. Safety cannot be guaranteed because if something is destined to happen, it will happen. What is in our hands is abiding to precautions! Certain basic precautions should be adhered to ensure the safety of these heaters. See below for some guidelines one should follow.
- Fire is the most dangerous risk posed by infrared heaters, and so combustible substances like wood, paper and fabrics should be kept at a safe distance from the heater.
- Make sure that the heater is installed properly to prevent any kind of leakages (if gas is the source of heating) and improper heating.
- The heaters are quite easy to maintain and repair. But make sure you are cautious with all its parts and are handling it properly.
- The installation and maintenance rules should be adhered to strictly.
- The heaters are mainly used for commercial heating purposes like industrial heating, warehouses, fire stations, etc. Majority of these heaters are not approved for residential use.
- In rarest of rare cases, overheating can cause harm and lead to side effects like burning of skin and damage to the eye tissues.