Which method is better for cleaning the carpet, dry cleaning or steam cleaning? As both the methods have their own benefits and drawbacks, people are usually confused about the usage of carpet cleaners. Read this article and get your doubts clear.
Carpets give a clean and tidy look to your floor and also save your floor from stains and dirt. But this makes your carpets so dirty that it becomes very difficult to clean them. There are two ways of carpet cleaning, dry cleaning and steam cleaning. There is always a debate between the two methods about their effectiveness and drawbacks. So, let’s discuss these two ways of carpet cleaning.
Carpet Dry Cleaning
Dry cleaning doesn’t mean there is no usage of water at all, but yes the water is used in a very less amount as compared to the steam cleaning. Following are some of the process which are used in this type of carpet cleaning.
- Dry Foam Method: In this method, shampoo is applied to the carpet and then it is left to dry. The shampoo absorbs the dirt. Then with the help of vacuum cleaner the dried shampoo is being sucked.
- Dry Chem Method: This method is quite similar to the dry foam method. The only difference between them is the use of bonnet pad instead of vacuum cleaner. The bonnet scrubs and absorbs the dirt.
- Oscillating Pad Method: A balanced pH spray is sprayed on the carpet and is left for sometime. This spray reacts with the dirt and loosen it which is later on removed with the help of cotton pad.
- Dry Compound Method: A dry compound is spread over the carpet and is left for sometime. The mixture absorbs the dirt and is then removed with the help of vacuum cleaner.
Although carpet dry cleaning is very popular and widely used, it is not as effective as steam cleaning. It leaves residues in the carpet which does not go away completely. Due to this, more dirt settles down which slowly decreases the carpet’s life.
Carpet Steam Cleaning
Steam cleaning is associated with the usage of water. Steam is used to clean the carpets. It is the most preferred and effective method of cleaning carpets. It removes the dirt and by this it increases the life of the carpet. It is also known as hot water extraction. Following are some of the methods used in steam cleaning.
- Truck Mount: There is pressurized hot water which is mixed with non toxic carpet cleaning solution which helps in removing the dirt and soil from the carpet. The water is poured and with the help of heavy suction machine all the dirt and water is being removed. The deep settled dirt can also be removed from this method.
- Portable Extraction: Portable extraction is mainly used in industries which are involve in the carpet cleaning business. The process is the same as truck mount but the suction machine is less stronger than the truck mount machine. This method is used for large-scale carpet cleaning like in apartments, hospitals, etc.
When discussing carpet cleaning, steam cleaning is considered as the best method, but it has some drawbacks too. Steam cleaning takes a lot of time to dry and in this period the dirt can settle down on the carpet. If the carpet is not dried properly, it may also lead to bacterial or fungal growth on the carpet.
Both methods have their own limitations, so according to your requirements and your budget, you can go for the machine. If you are not in a mood to buy a machine, then you can also give your carpets to the laundry. Clean the carpet on regular basis so as to increase its life.