A floor wax remover is used to scrub off the old layer of wax from the flooring, in order for a new layer to be applied. In the following sections, we will learn more about the same and provide you with a recipe for making one at home as well.
A dull floor in a well-decorated house is quite a turn off. On the other hand, a floor that shines and is clean and spotless is what people vie for–which is why people use floor wax in order to get that much-wanted shine. Floor wax is used not only to get a shiny look, but also to protect the floor from regular wear and tear. However, with passage of time, the wax starts yellowing and spoiling the whole look of the floor. Which then means that a fresh coat of wax needs to be applied and the old one removed. If one does not carry out this process properly, it renders the new layer useless, and could even prevent the new layer from staying on well enough. In which case, it might attract dust particles and make the floor look even dirtier. Which is why a good quality floor wax remover will have to be used.
Homemade Wax Remover
Even though one can get good wax removers from the hardware stores, it is much cheaper and easier to make them at home. The following is a simple procedure.
- Wear a pair of gloves in order to protect your hands. Wipe the whole floor clean so that there is no debris left.
- Then, in a bucket of hot water mix together white vinegar (at least 1 cup) and baking soda (½ cup).
- Next, pour some water on the floor and allow the water to stay for 5 to 10 minutes. After which, scrub the floor with a scrubber in order to remove the wax. Scrub well so that there are no traces of wax sticking to the floor. If there are some stubborn stains, then you can use salt to remove the same from that spot. Just sprinkle some over the strain and scrub well–the wax will come off easily.
- Wipe the entire floor clean with the prepared solution. Wipe well so that all the wax is removed.
- If you find that the floor has a really thick layer of wax, then mix 4 quarts of ammonia in water, pour it on the floor, and let it stay for sometime.
- Then scrub it off and you will see the wax come off easily.
You have to be extremely careful while using these removers as not all of them are suited for all types of floors. Wax removers for hardwood floors need to be chosen with care because the chemicals present in them may damage your floor. Do not use any remover that has ammonia in it. Instead of buying a commercial product, you can make one at home with a mixture of oil-free soap, white vinegar and hot water and then wipe the floor clean with it.