Fleas are a common nuisance that can infect your entire house, garden, and the backyard. The occurrence is more possible with people who have pets. Inside your home, fleas have a great mechanism to stay put and hide in your furniture, crevices of the couch, wooden floors, and carpets.
On top of all this, they can bite us too. Although there are various methods available in market, a homemade flea trap is a safe, less expensive option.
How to Make the Trap
As soon as you find out that your home, backyard, pet, or garden is infested with fleas, you need to take some necessary action. Why? Because female fleas lay approximately 20 to 25 eggs in one day. At this rate, you would have a disaster waiting in your way. You can easily get rid of and kill fleas with a few household items.
Flea Trap House
- You'll need - scissors, 1 AA battery, see-through plastic cup, water, liquid dish soap and the cover of plastic solar path light. Gather these items and move on to the next step.
- From the plastic solar path light, we need to unscrew the top off. The reason is that we need to remove the LED light which is underneath it, near the battery slot.
- When you get the LED light, place it aside and cut a square shape in the see-through plastic cup with the scissors.
- While cutting, make sure you leave about an inch of space from the top and about couple of inches from the bottom.
- In place of the LED light, place the AA battery and keep it aside.
- Fill the bottom of the cup, about 1'', with water and add couple of drops of liquid dish soap.
- Wherever the fleas are, in the house, backyard, or where your pet sleeps, place the cup there. But make sure the cup will have direct sunlight over it.
- Now, replace the top of the plastic solar path light over the cup.
During nighttime, the fleas will get drawn to the light and jump inside the cup. They will drown and you won't have to worry about anything. In the morning, remove the dead fleas and replace the liquid dish soap water in the cup and place in the same or different area to kill more fleas.
Flea Trap Plate
- To make our second trap, you require the necessary items - honey, housing of table fan, night-light, and Styrofoam plate.
- Put some honey on top of a Styrofoam plate and place it in an area where there are fleas.
- Keep the housing of a table fan covering the plate.
- On top of the housing, you will place a night-light and leave this setting alone.
- In the night or during the day (with the drapes shut and the room being almost dark), turn the night-light on.
- The fleas will get attracted to the light and would want to eat the honey on the plate.
- The honey is sticky and won't let the fleas escape.
- In the morning or in a few hours, when the plate is filled with dead fleas, change the plate with fresh honey.
If you find that neither of the two traps are working, you can try other natural remedies such as a spray made with white vinegar and water, or lemon-soaked water. You can either spray this solution in your house or over your pet. Both will prevent the flea from bothering your house.