Swimming goggles are one of the most important accessories of a swimmer. They are likely to get dirty or murky due to the chlorine or other elements present in water. This article teaches you how to clean your swimming goggles at home, without damaging them thus keep them lasting longer.
Did you know that Persians first used polished tortoise shells to protect their eyes while swimming. Gradually the trend changed and today we use these high quality swimming goggles that keeps visibility at a premium. Chemicals and materials present in the water can cause irritation in the eyes, thus leading to blurred vision. This can affect the swimmer’s ability to give the sport his/her best shot. Therefore, swimming goggles are one of the most important accessories of a swimmer.
However, prolonged exposure to chlorine or salt water for that matter, can damage your goggles over a period of time. The goggles can get cloudy on the lenses and chlorine or salt water can cause a lot of grime to accumulate inside the eye cups. This requires you to clean the goggles every now and then, to maintain its perfect visibility and durability. So, how to clean your swimming goggles at home, without scratching them? Well… it is not very difficult to clean your goggles, all you have to do is follow some preventive tricks post the swim routine to keep your goggles clean and grime free.
Preventive Ways To Keep Your Swimming Goggles Clean
● The main reason why goggles get dirty quickly is because they do not fit the swimmer properly, which means that the eye cups are frequently immersed in water, that causes this problem. Therefore, it is important you ensure that the goggles fit you tightly and it’s restricted to limited exposure to water.
● Always clean your swimming goggles, by rising them in cold water post your swim routine. This will prevent the accumulation of dirt on the goggles. Make sure that the tap water is clear and not highly chlorinated.
● When it comes to cleaning your goggles at home, do not use soap or detergent with strong chemicals as they can affect the goggle’s lenses and make it appear cloudy. Use a mild liquid soap or baby shampoo to clean your swimming goggles. Soak the goggles in this soapy mixture for an hour or so.
● Now, rinse the goggles under tap water. Again rinse thoroughly until you get rid of all the traces of soap or lather. Make sure you clean everything, the debris from the crevices of the goggle strap and the eye cups. If you are able to remove the goggle straps, it just makes the whole process easier.
● Make sure you do not rub them with your fingers, this may leave behind debris and oil from your skin onto the lenses making them foggy and cloudy. This might also damage the lenses and you would have to go in for a new one then. Never scrub your swimming goggles with a scrubber or loofah for that matter, as they might develop scratches on the lenses.
● You can also use a dollop of mild toothpaste or a mixture of vinegar and lime juice to clean your goggles. If you allow the goggles to soak in the mixture of vinegar and lime juice; vinegar absorbs the dirt and grime and lime juice is responsible for disposing away with the odor of the pool. Hence, clean the goggles completely and properly.
● Once you are done with the rinsing process, air dry them. Hang them in a well ventilated area and dry them properly. Do not store them damp in the goggle box or pouch. Now, a detailed cleaning process can be done once a week, but rinsing your goggles every time post your swim routine is a must and should be followed religiously, without fail.
So, cleaning your swimming goggles should not be a problem any more, right? Taking proper care of your swimming goggles will not only keep them clean, but also help them last longer and keep visibility nice and clear!