Simple and easily accessible things like cigarette ash, toothpaste, lemon, etc., can be used to repair scratched eyeglass lenses. But you need to follow a proper procedure as even a small mistake can spoil the lens. Keep reading for some important tips.
Scratches can happen due to accidental dropping of the glasses, lens coming into contact with some abrasive surface or may be due to any other reason. To repair this damage, people spend a lot of money and time. However, these scratches are usually on the surface and very few scratches reach its inner surface. This makes it easier to clean, even at home.
Scratched Eyeglass Repair
There are many methods to clean and repair scratched lenses. You can repair the scratches both on glass lenses and plastic lenses. Just keep the material of the eyeglass lenses in mind and follow the tips given below.
- Lemon: Take a lemon pledge and spray it on a cotton swab. You can also use soft cloth. Rub it on the glass for few minutes and then wash it off with the help of soap. Repeat the process if the scratches are still visible.
- Cigarette Ash: Cigarette ash can also be helpful in eyeglass scratch repair. Put some ash on the lens and gently rub it. Wash off the ash after sometime. Repeat the process if necessary. Do not use the ash immediately from the lit cigarette.
- Toothpaste: Take some toothpaste which is without whitener so that it doesn’t harm the lens. Take it in a cotton swab and gently rub it on the lens. Leave it for 5 minutes and then wash it off. Clean it with a polishing cloth.
- Brasso: For eyeglass lenses scratch repair, Brasso can also be used as it is an effective polish. Take it in a cotton swab and rub it on the lens, leave it for 5 minutes and then clean it off.
- Armour Etch: Armour Etch is effective in just one wash. Take it in a cotton swab and rub it on both the sides of the lenses. Leave it for 5 minutes and then clean it off. Do not use Armour Etch on the scratched glass lenses as they are specially meant for plastic glasses.
- Liquid Bandage: Spray liquid bandage on the lens and let it dry. Then clean it up with the help of a polishing cloth.
You can also buy eyeglass lens scratch removal kit available in the market. This kit is effective and can help you to get rid of minor scratches. If you have a major scratch on the lens then you need to go for a lens replacement or contact the ophthalmologist for further guidance.
Things to Remember
Glass is a very delicate thing, you need to handle it with care. Following are some of the points you should remember while using the lenses.
- Handle the eyeglasses with the help of its frame, do not touch the lenses at all.
- Never use tissue paper or towel for cleaning eyeglasses, as it can harm your lenses. Always use a cotton swab, silk cloth or a polishing cloth to clean the lenses.
- Clean the lenses regularly to avoid deepening of minor scratches.
- While cleaning the lenses, be gentle and light handed. Do not rub the lenses hard.
- When the eyeglasses are not in use, keep them in a case.
- Never keep the glasses with their face down as it can cause scratches.
Clean up your lenses by following the methods given in this article till you get a clear view through it, but if you are not able to, then visit an ophthalmologist for more assistance.