Molds can be found virtually anywhere and everywhere. They irritate with their perpetual presence indoors and outdoors. So how to treat mold on wood? Read this article to have a mold free life!
For all those who have an idea about what molds are and what they propose to do in the house with your carpentry; this article would serve to be the savior. The following sections can serve to be a navigation stem to the other sections of the article, that explicate the treatment methods, on how to treat mold on wood. We begin with what molds are and how to identify, that molds have hijacked your space.
Q: What Are Molds?
A: Molds are tiny, molecular organisms that are found virtually anywhere. Foods, plants or even dry leaves, are the primary and predominant victims of molds. They are microscopic organisms, colloquially called fungus, that commute through air. You can identify them, when you behold the eerie sight of a surface, skipping colors from white to green to orange, brown, green or black. The surface endures a discolored appeal, especially when they have affected the area in specificity and drastically. Touching molds can cause allergic reactions that bear resemblance to reaction that are borne, when an individual develops itches through pollen grass.
Q: Are Molds Dangerous?
A: Molds or mildew is dangerous, if the area that they cover and plan to corrode is extensive in nature. Killing mold on wood is the only solution. In no case should our tactile sense be tempted to touch it as this may lead us to have an allergic reaction. One could counter a sneezing attack or feel itchy all over the body. They could spell disaster for the structure of the building. When wood is dried thoroughly, mold formation cannot be the result. If the wood retains the moisture in any way, mold attacking the surface is evident. The wood warps and corrodes from within.
Q: Who Sets the Breeding Ground for Mold?
A: Well, the answer is simple and elementary; it is ‘Moisture’. Moisture can prove to be the hormone that sets a stage for it to perform and create destruction for the surface. Wood, paper and dried leaves set grounds on which molds find refuge.
Q: Who Is at a Greater Risk with Moldy Existence?
A: Infants and toddlers who are prone to experimenting and who want to learn everything through touch, the elderly, and all those who have a low immunity are at a greater risk of countering health hazards through the existence of molds.
Q: How to Identify Mold Attack?
A: Here are some signs that signify that your surroundings have compromised on molds.
- Musty odor
- Damp surroundings
- Fungus-like cotton-y appearance
- Discoloration of the affected area
- Plaster peeling off
- Wood warping
Q: How Do You Treat Molds?
A: Here is a procedural paradigm on how to get rid of mold on wood. To begin with, given below are common steps that you must preferably follow, before you choose to use any of the mold killing agents.
Step #1. Equip yourself with a sponge and detergent added to water.
Step #2. Clean the mildew affected area with a sponge dipped in soapy water.
Step #3. Get rid of the soapy water from the area and allow it to dry completely. You may now use one of the methods given below to treat mold on wood.
Effective Mold Killing Agents
- With bleach mixed in water, you could fill the concoction in a spray bottle. You could spray it in the affected area. This will remove the mildew on the surface, be it wood or any surface of the house.
- Let the area dry out completely.
- You could wash the mildew affected area all over again with soapy water to ensure there is no mildew left on the surface.
- If your efforts are not answered positively, you may use white vinegar.
- Add a portion of vinegar to 4 portions of water and spray the concocted solution on the affected areas.
- Let the contents react on the surface for an hour or two. Scrub clean the place with sponge dipped in water.
- Alternifolia, colloquially known as tea tree oil, has proved to be a bet, worth considering.
- Add 3 portions of tea tree oil in water maintaining an equal proportion.
- Apply the solution on the mold-y areas with a thick cloth (one that may help in scrubbing the wall) and leave it on, to dry all by itself. Rinsing with soap water after terminating the application procedure is not required
With Hydrogen Peroxide
- Hydrogen peroxide is an effective agent in killing mold camps. Add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in water
- Fill the solution in a spray bottle and sprinkle the same on the targeted space.
- Allow it to settle and react for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Scrub the surface with soapy water
Choice of Scrubbers
For the procedures explicated, you may resort to using steel wool with the solutions. Steel wool will help you complete the procedure by scrubbing the surface thoroughly along with soapy water again.
You may also use sandpaper for a final showdown, if steel wool is unable to prove its potency. Remove the mold as far as possible, however don’t be harsh on the surface.
Step #4. After opting for one of the above mentioned procedures, you may repaint the surface or may apply varnish on the wood surface after you have washed the surface with bleach and soapy water.
Step #5. Make sure that you repaint the surface only after it dries thoroughly. Allow it to dry for 2 to 3 days.
In order to prevent molds from affecting your space in the future, it is required that you keep moisture away from surfaces, thereby further maintaining hygiene. They have the capacity to let surfaces and structures corrode and collapse. So be careful and make sure that next time, it’s just you who rules the house and not the molds who spell authority!