If you do not clean your house regularly, many a time you would experience a musty smell. Living in an old house or keeping old furniture - these are some of the reasons behind the stench which may be limited to a particular corner of the house. However, if not taken care of quickly, the smell might encompass all the other areas very soon!
Some Probable Causes
In most cases, the main culprit behind that bad odor is the fungi, mold, and mildew, which grows at various places in the house. So, if the wood in your house, whether on the flooring or of the furniture, has not been cleaned for a while, then most likely mold has grown on it and is causing the smell. Or, if you are experiencing a musty smell after the rains, there could be some possible leaks in your house from where the water is entering inside. Often, when water stands at one place for a while, molds and fungi start forming on it. That's why bathrooms are one of the chief areas, which get afflicted by fungi and bad odors.
Besides the bathroom, some other areas of the house that are most likely to get attacked by fungi are the basement as well as the vents of the air conditioners. If house cleaning is overlooked, fungi and dust may form on the furniture, inside the cupboards, in any tearing in the wall, and on the carpets of the house.
Tips to Get Rid of the Musty Smell
A good device to get rid of the odor is an ionizer. This device releases ions into the atmosphere which overpower the molecules of the smell thus removing the odor for a while. However, just like an air freshener, the effects of an ionizer are short lived as well.
One equally effective solution is lemon juice diluted with a bit of water. Pour this liquid on the fungi. If there is formation of mold on the clothes, apply this solution as it is very useful for mold removal from clothes. Follow it up by washing with water and soap and that's it! You would never get to smell the bad odor again.
As you can see, by being a little more proactive and careful, one can prevent and get rid of the musty smell in the house. It is not something that should be taken lightly as fungi is known to aggravate respiratory problems. So, if you see that fungi all around your house, gather all the ingredients required, wear a mask, and start making use of the tips given above to get rid of it as well as the smell in your house!