Repairing vinyl shower curtains at home is easy and cost-effective. Here are tips on repair and maintenance of shower curtains.
Vinyl shower curtains are colorful, decorative, practical to use, and inexpensive. They appear attractive as long as they are in a good condition. A tear can mar the beauty of your shower curtain. Rather than replacing the entire curtain, you can simply repair it at home.
Repairing a Vinyl Shower Curtain
You must have observed that vinyl shower curtains mostly tear at the top near the hook. In that case, follow these methods.
The seemingly ordinary vinyl tape can be of great use for fixing a vinyl shower curtain. You can even use a duct tape. Before you begin repairing the holes, clean the surface of the curtain. Then, cover the holes with a vinyl tape on both sides. If the holes are completely covered, you can make a new hole with a hole puncher for inserting the hook. After you complete the process, rehang the curtain.
Shower Curtain Repair Kit
Vinyl patch kits, meant for repairing air mattresses, pool liners, and other vinyl products, can be used for repairing shower curtains. Firstly, clean the surface of the curtain. Then use the repair kit according to the manufacturer’s instructions. These kits are easy to use and do not create any mess.
PVC Cement or Hot Glue
Follow the same cleaning method and place a vinyl tape at the back of the tear. Now apply PVC cement on the area and leave it to set. The hot glue is also to be used in a similar manner. After applying, set it to harden. When it is set, rehang the curtain.
Although you must have heard that a vinyl shower curtain is waterproof, it should be cleaned from time to time. Here are some easy cleaning methods. You need to remove the curtain from the hook before cleaning it.
- Rinsing the curtain in clean water is the simplest cleaning method.
- Mix 1 cup bleach with 1 quart of water and use this mixture for cleaning vinyl curtains. First scrub the curtain with a sponge and then rinse with water.
- Mild soap or detergents can also be used as they are easily available at home. Submerge the curtain in soap water or pour the soap water on the curtain. After some time, rinse it thoroughly with water and wipe with a sponge.
- Hydrogen peroxide can be used for cleaning spots on the vinyl curtains. Apply it on a cotton ball and rub over the spot to clean it.
- It is also advisable to roll the vinyl shower curtains or keep them tied back when not in use. This will be helpful in keeping the curtains clean.
With these repair and maintenance tips, you can fix the shower curtain at home and save money, without the help of a professional.