Weeds take over your lawn by siphoning nutrients away, taking advantage of sunlight that otherwise benefits the grass, stealing valuable resources from its source – nutrients from food crops such as grass. However, some types of weed killer can be hazardous to both animals and humans alike, while there are alternative approaches which can effectively kill weeds without harming the surrounding lawn or your health.
Contact herbicides kill weeds on contact, quickly killing them off. In as little as 10 minutes they’ve begun working and remain resistant to rain.
Pesticides are substances designed to eliminate or prevent an organism, such as insects, mice or other animals, weeds or plant diseases from being active. Pesticides may also serve as growth regulators (regulator), defoliants (defoliant) or desiccants (desiccant).
Natural weed killers that do not harm lawns include spinosad, which comes from Saccharopolyspora spinosa bacteria in soil, to damage insects when they contact or consume it. Available as sprays and granules for lawns, ornamentals and vegetables it has received approval by USDA as an organic solution.
When handling pesticides, always follow the product label instructions. If spray drifts into your home, close all windows and doors immediately; in case a spill does occur, use dry absorbent material like kitty litter or sawdust to cover it before keeping children and pets away from it – inhaling or swallowing any liquid or solid pesticide could result in poisoning.
Dangers to Animals
Weed killers, commonly referred to as herbicides, are chemicals designed to kill unwanted plants. While these products effectively extinguish weeds and maintain green lawns, they also pose serious health risks to both people and pets – some symptoms ranging from mild irritations such as nausea or vomiting to fatal ones like dehydration, skin conditions such as dermatitis or respiratory difficulties and even bladder or thyroid cancer can arise as a result.
2,4-D (dichlorophenoxyacetic acid) has become the go-to weed killer for residential lawns due to its proven success at eliminating aesthetic-inconveniencing plants like dandelions and clover from backyards.
“Weed and feed” products are another common lawn treatments, consisting of high nitrogen fertilizer. Unfortunately, this treatment may damage your lawn by stimulating too much growth at once – potentially leaving it susceptible to drought stress or environmental conditions such as flooding. Furthermore, its use allows herbicide to travel up through tree roots into its trunk, potentially harming both trees and grass alike.
Homeowners using chemicals to maintain their lawns often create environmental hazards that threaten both ecosystems and humans alike. Chemicals that drift off lawns or are washed down storm drains may end up polluting lakes and rivers with pollution-contaminated waters, or may enter airways through inhalation and skin absorption and cause health issues in humans and wildlife alike.
Glyphosate, more commonly known by its brand name Roundup, has been linked with cancer, reproductive disorders, neurological issues and other ailments; yet its use continues to be popular with homeowners and landscapers.
Homeowners looking for more environmentally-friendly alternatives to Roundup can turn to vinegar and Borax. When applying these products, a spray bottle that allows users to switch between spraying and stream mode will enable users to more accurately target weeds while protecting other plants. In order to minimize environmental harm, try spraying only when wind conditions permit.
No doubt about it: weed killers can be an invaluable asset when applied correctly. In order to minimise spray drift onto desirable plants and allow weeds to quickly absorb the poisonous spray, applying with a sprinkle bar would be most ideal. Chemical-based products designed specifically to control certain weed species should only be used on them or they could cause more harm than good.
2.4% dichlorophenoxyacetic acid), developed during World War II to bring green lawns back after WWII, remains one of the most popular weed killers today. Unfortunately, 2,4-D is highly toxic; even small doses may cause stomach upset, headaches and confusion, with severe cases leading to organ failure if consumed orally; it should not be used around children or pets, nor allowed to dry before anyone walks over treated areas.