To ensure that your Corian countertop lasts for years, proper care and maintenance is required. Given in this HomeQuicks article are the instructions for this task.
Corian countertops are made of plastic or acrylic polymers which are known for their durability. They are available in a wide range of colors and designs, due to which, they are popular with many new homeowners. As these countertops resemble natural stone, they are often mistaken for granite. Even though Corian is a tough material, it can suffer damages when not handled properly. Given below are the steps involved in caring for Corian countertops.
Use a warm soapy solution made of mild dishwashing detergent and warm water. Even ammonia based cleaners work well on these countertops. Rub the surface with a sponge dipped in soapy water, followed by a thorough rinse, and wipe the surface dry using a clean microfiber cloth. By doing so you are ensuring that your kitchen counter does not lose its luster, and looks fresh for a long time.
Baking soda is an excellent natural cleanser, which is used by many homeowners for cleaning. Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda all over the counter, and spray some warm water on it by using a spray bottle. Rub a moist sponge on it in circular motion, so that the baking powder spreads uniformly to form a thin layer on the surface. Wait for at least 10 minutes before wiping off the baking soda. Make sure you dry the surface well.
These countertops tend to get blotches and stains due to residue build up. To get rid of such marks, and to restore the natural shine of Corian, you have to use a cleaning product specifically designed for this surface. Read the instructions provided on the label and use the product accordingly. Spray the cleaner directly on the spot and leave it untouched for half an hour. While wiping off the cleaner with a dry paper towel, apply a little pressure so that the stains come off.
To keep this material free from germs, you need to disinfect it at least once a week. Prepare a solution by mixing one part of bleach with one part of water, and wipe the surface thoroughly with it. This should be followed by washing off the bleach with clean water. Always remember to dry the surface thoroughly using a cloth and not letting it air dry.
- Corian has a strong resistance towards heat. However, it is not safe to place hot utensils directly on it, as the surface may get scorched, leaving ugly burn marks on it. Always use trivets or hot pads for placing hot cooking pans on this surface.
- Do not cut anything with knife directly on the countertop, as it will scratch the surface. Instead, use a cutting board to prevent any damages to the countertop.
- To avoid dents or cracks, avoid dropping any heavy objects on your kitchen countertop.
- Never expose the surface to any harsh chemicals that are present in various cleaning agents. In case of an accidental spill, make sure that you clean the surface thoroughly with water.
- Using window cleaners on these countertops leave waxy residues, which often make the surface look dull.
Following the above mentioned maintenance instructions will ensure durability and an attractive appearance to your Corian countertops.