As the name rightly suggests, fabric softeners are used for making fabrics softer. Nowadays, these products are available in liquid form or as dryer sheets. While liquid fabric softeners are added to the water that is used for rinsing clothes, the dryer sheets with dry softener coating are attached to the dryer of the washing machine. Apart from softening clothes, you can also use liquid fabric softeners to remove wallpaper.
Wallpaper removal is often viewed as a difficult and messy task that requires a lot of effort. You may either hire professionals, or do it for yourselves. If you want to remove the old wallpaper on your own, you may use store-bought products or homemade ones. There are some easily available household materials that can be used for this purpose. They include vinegar, fabric softener, etc.
- Once you decide to remove the old wallpaper and stick a new one, prepare the room. Remove all furniture and carpets. Spread old newspaper or clothes on the floor.
- Switch off the power supply to the room. Cover the electrical outlets with duct tape, and remove face plates from sockets.
- Take a sharp utility knife, and score the wallpaper. You have to cover the whole surface area by making crisscross marks. Avoid causing damage to the wall, while doing this. Such puncturing helps the solvent to penetrate the wallpaper and soften it.
- The next step is to mix equal parts of hot water and liquid fabric softener. Fill the mixture in a spray bottle, and apply on the wallpaper.
- You may also add equal amounts of fabric softener and water to the wallpaper removal steamer, and apply the mixture on the wallpaper to be removed. It will be better to use gloves, while handling this solution.
- Let the solvent remain on the wallpaper for at least 10 to 20 minutes. This is to ensure softening of the wallpaper, so that it can be removed easily.
- Once done, use a putty knife to scrape off the wallpaper. Take care to avoid damage to the wall, while scraping.
- It is always better to apply the solution in sections, that too from the top to the bottom.
- Once you are done with wallpaper removal, wipe the walls with a solution made of equal parts of white vinegar and water. This is beneficial for removing the residues on the wall.
- Let the walls dry completely, before fixing the new wallpaper.