We've all experienced trying to open a stubborn wine bottle. It's worse when people are watching, shaking their heads while you clumsily get the cork out. Opening a bottle of wine requires skill and knowledge of the exact method, as well as a little practice.
With a Corkscrew
A corkscrew is the best equipment or wine accessory to be used to open a bottle with a cork stopper.
- With the help of the sharp point of the corkscrew, remove the foil of the bottle.
- Keep the bottle on a hard surface, just below your chest. Now place the corkscrew vertically straight on top of the cork.
- Hold the bottle and the lower end of the corkscrew together with one hand. With the other hand, turn the handle of the corkscrew.
- Next, begin turning the handle of the corkscrew in a clockwise direction. At the same time, you need to apply pressure downwards on the corkscrew for it to get wound inside the cork.
- You need to continue doing this until the corkscrew is completely inside the cork. At this time, the arms of the corkscrew will be raised completely.
- Now, press both the arms of the corkscrew down. When you do this, the cork will be lifted out of the bottle.
- The next step is to lift the corkscrew up and twist the cork off it.
- Lastly, you should remove the foil completely and wipe the bottle rim before serving.
With a Shoe
Sometimes, you may not have a corkscrew handy. While effective, try not to use this method for formal occasions.
- First, you need to cover the bottle with a towel.
- Now hold the bottle firmly in one hand and tap the bottle with the heel of the shoe.
- Next, place the base bottle on the heel of the shoe. i.e., the bottle should be vertical to the shoe.
- Now hold the shoe in one hand (shoe should be horizontal against the wall) and the bottle, which is placed in the shoe, in the other hand.
- In this manner, firmly hit the heel of the shoe on the wall. With each hit, the cork will become loose.
- You should stop when the cork is halfway or nearly out. Next, remove the cork and enjoy the wine.
Twist Off Wine Cap
A wine bottle with a twist off cap is the easiest to open.
- To make your task easier, you should remove any foil or paper on the bottle.
- Hold the cap with one hand and the body of the bottle with your other hand, tightly.
- Firmly twist the cap with force and the bottle will open.
Using a nail and a hammer is also another effective method. But use cautiously, as can be dangerous.