Leather is undoubtedly among those much-loved materials that are widely used to make various products. Whether it be a purse, a jacket or a piece of furniture, leather products are among the most sought-after commodities. Leather briefcases are commonly used by professionals, both men and women alike. Even though, it is one of the commonly used products, very few people are found to be aware about how to take care of a leather briefcase.
Leather Briefcase Care
Leather briefcases are commonly used and usually come with heavy price tags. However, most of them are handled carelessly or are not maintained properly. Though leather is a durable product, it will not last long, if not handled properly. This applies to leather products, including leather briefcases.
- If you use a leather briefcase on a daily basis, it needs regular care. Avoid spilling any liquid or other articles on your briefcase. If you spill something, all you have to do is to act quickly and blot it with a soft, dry cloth or paper towel. After that, allow the area to air dry.
- In case your leather briefcase gets soaked in rain, you have to empty the contents and keep it open on a table in an upside down manner. Blot the moisture from the leather surfaces using paper towels. Stuff some newspapers inside, so as to absorb the moisture. Let the suitcase air dry, before use.
- Take care while you keep down your leather suitcase. Watch out for water and food spills. You may wipe the outer surfaces of the suitcase, once a week for removing dust and dirt. Even the interior must be wiped with a damp cloth, once in a month. Keep the briefcase open, so as to let the interiors air dry.
- Apart from the routine care, you have to clean and condition the leather occasionally. You may use a good quality leather cleaner for this purpose. If the manufacturer of the briefcase has provided you with any special leather cleaners, then use that only. In such cases, follow the instructions of the manufacturer. You may also use a damp cloth for cleaning a leather briefcase.
- Another important aspect of leather briefcase care is conditioning, which has to be done at least once a year. Once the cleaning is done, apply a good quality conditioner with a soft sponge or cloth. You have to apply it all over the surface of the briefcase, before wiping it again with a soft cloth. In this case too, use the conditioner provided by the manufacturer, if there is any. As a last step, you can apply some moisture barrier solution over the leather surfaces.
- In case, you don't want to use the leather briefcase for sometime, it will be better to clean and dry it, before placing it inside a bag. Store this bag in a location that is away from sunlight, heat and dust.
- Wet leather briefcases that are not dried properly may develop mildew. In such case, you may use a solution made of one cup rubbing alcohol mixed with a cup of water. Wipe the affected area with this solution, before wiping again with a cloth dampened with fresh water.
However, leather care may vary slightly with the type of leather. In case, the manufacturer has provided you with special instructions for maintaining and storing a leather briefcase, you must follow that. The same applies to cleaning and conditioning products that are given by the manufacturer. Otherwise, proper daily care along with some occasional cleaning and conditioning will be perfect for maintaining your leather briefcase. Above all, handle the briefcase with care. If properly taken care of, your leather briefcase will last longer.