Cleaning tinted windows is proceeded by using lint free towels and mild window cleaners. After going through this article on how to clean tinted windows, you will find it very easy to maintain these dark-colored window films.
Car windows are often tinted for protecting the car’s interior from unwanted sunrays and glare, and also, for providing privacy to the passengers. To serve the same functions, homeowners prefer using dark window films as a part of their home improvement projects. These thin films help in blocking sunrays, thereby protecting the curtains, furniture, flooring and room’s interior from becoming faded. Also, they provide privacy and insulate the rooms in winter. But when it comes to the maintenance part, you need to learn proper cleaning of tinted windows, and follow the same for increasing their durability.
Instructions to Clean Tinted Windows
Tinting house windows is a great way to conserve energy in the long run, and that too at a cheaper price. You will find various types of window films in the market. For both car windows or home windows, the tint used is a thin polyester film coated with an anti-scratch layer. Available in different shades of bronze hue, stainless steel and gray, it can be applied to existing windows by gluing tinting film or applying tint coating. For those of you who are interested in installing new windows, opt for the tinted glass windows.
Simple tips for how to clean tinted house windows are highlighted below.
- Cleaning tinted windows is proceeded after the newly installed windows or films are cured properly. The curing period may be 20 – 30 days for tinted windows and 3 – 5 days for films. So, wait for the stipulated time before cleaning them.
- Prior to cleaning windows, run your finger and check for accumulated dust and dirt in the surface. If they are present, consider washing both sides of the windows with plain water. This step is effective to get rid of large particulate matter, which otherwise may cause scratches.
- While cleaning tinted auto windows or house windows, you have to be very careful about selecting the cleaning solutions, materials and other supplies. Avoid using regular window cleaners. Anything that can cause fading of the window films, tearing and scratching of the tint surfaces should not be used.
- Do not use abrasives over tinted windows, or otherwise they will leave unsightly scratch lines. So, instead of using rough paper towels (white or brown), harsh sponges, scrubbing pads and chemical abrasives, you should opt for extra soft, lint-free fabrics for cleaning tinted house windows.
- A basic consideration for maintaining tinted windows is, not to use cleaning agents, which are based on ammonia or other strong chemicals. These chemicals react with the polyester material, and cause fading and blotchiness of the tint over time. In short, they reduce the window’s functionality and aesthetic value.
- At the time of purchasing cleaning solutions, make sure you go through the product labels and select those that are free of ammonia and harsh chemicals. If you cannot find a safe solution, use a homemade window cleaner, such as a mixture of regular dish soap and water, and diluted vinegar solution.
- Fill the cleaning solution in a spray bottle, and apply it over a small area on the outer side of the window. Using a folded cloth, wipe the damp window in circular motions to remove adhering fine particles. Follow the same step for the next window section, until it appears clean.
- Dampen a cloth and wipe the surface to remove soap remains from the tinted windows. Then, dab the window films dry with a dry cloth. After you are done with cleaning the outer side, move to the inside and adopt the same steps of cleaning with soapy solution, wiping with damp cloth and drying.
Follow these simple tips for cleaning tinted windows, and definitely, they will last for several years. Window films that are properly installed and cared for are highly durable, and require replacement after 10 – 15 years. Also, most of the window film manufacturers offer a warranty of five years and more. To avail warranty for the said period, you are expected to follow correct cleaning and maintenance tips, as suggested by the manufacturer.