Tobacco smell can be excessively unpleasant for non-smokers, so smokers should make all possible attempts to ensure that others are not suffering due to them. In this article, we will try to know how to get rid of tobacco smell.
If you are a smoker, then you might never know what it is, but trust me non-smokers are repulsed by tobacco smell. They often complain that smokers never take adequate measures to get rid of tobacco smell, which is quaint and unpleasant. If you smoke, then it is your responsibility to ensure that you take certain measures to get rid of tobacco smoke and prevent yourself from being labeled as a ‘chimney.’
It is not only your body that smells of tobacco but continuously smoking in your home and car can also offend your non-smoker friends. Besides the etiquette part of it, certain sensitive people are allergic to the smell of tobacco and can have nauseating experiences. Same holds true for asthmatics and we are sure that you would not want to put someone’s health at risk. Many people will tell you that getting rid of tobacco smell is extremely easy, and the solution is to quit smoking.
Now, this is indeed a good advice but if we look at the issue pragmatically, then you would know that it is easier said than done. This in no way means you do not make any efforts to quit smoking, but quitting is not an overnight thing, and it takes time before you let go completely. Till that time take the help of the following tips to ensure that you get rid of that debilitating tobacco smell.
Getting Rid of a Smoker’s Breath
Smokers breath can be a turn off for many people, so it is important that you put in some effort to conceal it. One of the time-tested ways of getting rid of smokers breath is to pop in a chewing gum as soon as you stub the cigarette. There are a lot of chewing gums available in the market which have a strong flavor, which help in getting rid of tobacco smell.
Mouthwash is also effective in relieving bad breath and it also counters the damage that cigarette smoke does to your oral health. There are some other options like having a snack after a smoke to reduce the smell, but you should be careful with what you are eating as you cannot justify eating a jumbo-burger just because you wanted to get rid of cigarette smell! It certainly will have other repercussions on your health.
Getting Rid of Tobacco Smell from a Car
- The first thing that you can do to remove tobacco smell from a car is by keeping it ventilated. Better ventilation helps in better circulation and makes stale, smelly air to be replaced by fresh air.
- Although ventilation is extremely important, tobacco has a strong odor, so ventilation alone may not be able to help you get rid of tobacco smell. The most effective way of ensuring that your car does not smell bad is to get it cleaned from top to bottom. You can either do it yourself but if you are not sure how to go about it, then you can take the help of professional cleaners.
- Remember to empty the ashtray at the end of each day. Cigarette butts and ash can spread the tobacco smell to every nook and corner of the car, so it is important that you empty the ashtray completely after you park the car overnight.
- The steps mentioned above can be useful when you have a lot of time in hand but if you are in real need of getting rid of tobacco smell quickly, then it is essential that you keep an air freshener handy. This can be extremely useful in cases where someone arrives announced like your non-smoker boss!
Getting Rid of Tobacco Smell from a House
- As in the case of cars, ventilation is important to ensure that the pervasive tobacco smell does not stay in your home for too long. If you seldom open your windows and doors to let fresh air in, then it is very likely that the tobacco smell will permeate into your house, which makes every place like the carpets, mats and the sofa smell of tobacco.
- Smoke and tar have a capacity to stick to walls, making them look disheveled and a source of bad odor. It is important that you wash/paint your walls once in a while. It will not only help you to get rid of tobacco smell but it will also ensure that your house looks neat and clean.
- Washing your curtains and carpets and rugs regularly helps in getting rid of the tobacco smell. These things can trap the tobacco odor for a long time, so it is important that you wash them frequently.
- If you want to get rid of tobacco smell in your house by masking the odor rather than eliminating it, then we would like to tell you that there are a lot of products that will do the needful for you. The home-based remedy is to leave a bowl of vinegar in your room. Vinegar will leave a pleasant fragrance in your room helping you to get rid of tobacco smell immediately. Another quick remedy to get rid of tobacco smell is to leave sliced apples and coffee beans in your rooms for a few days.
- Smoking in a small localized area will not only help in preventing tobacco smell to creep into your house but it will also prevent your loved ones from the dangers of passive smoking.
These were some ways in which you can ensure that you do not put people off by the lingering tobacco smell.