When the countless air fresheners don’t work, and throwing open the windows to circulate air doesn’t do much good, you have no choice left except to get down and dirty, to destroy the mold. Let’s take a look at how you can do this.
Mold is nothing but one of the many types of fungi that thrive in damp locations. This is an entity that covers the surface bathrooms, basements, kitchens, ceilings, and even clothes that haven’t been used for a while. Most types of fungi are airborne and have the ability to spread from one area to the another within a home. But they need moist, dark, and warm places, to breed and thrive.
A black mold infestation can affect the way a house looks to a great extent, giving the place an unsightly, or let’s say unpleasant, appearance. Because the presence of this fungi poses as a threat to your health, including that of your family members and visitors, it is important to get rid of the mold infestation without a moment’s delay.
Once you notice the signs―yellow spotting or a substance in a mysterious color―destroy the mold while you can, before it spreads. Always wear protective gear when tackling such a problem―face mask, rubber gloves (right up till the elbows), and overalls.
How to Get Rid of Mold Odor
Due to obvious reasons, the best way of getting rid of the nasty odor, is by putting an end to the problem itself. Incense and air fresheners can only help to a certain degree, but getting rid of the mold will put an end to not just the smell, but the chances of falling ill.
Coalesce 2 parts vinegar, 2 parts hydrogen peroxide, 1 part boric acid, and 4 parts water. Spray the mixture generously on the affected surfaces. After coating the area with the mixture, let it rest for 30 minutes; if the moldy layer still doesn’t come off when you scrub the surface, leave it for an additional 30 minutes. Clean the surface with a hard-bristled brush, using soap water. Wipe the area with a clean rag and use a blow dryer to quicken the drying process.
- Sprinkle baking soda around the affected area after cleaning it with vinegar (let it sit for an hour before wiping it away). It will help absorb some of the mold’s musty odor.
- In most cases, after you are done cleaning the affected areas with vinegar, the foul odor diminishes. But for an additional boost, you can use lemon juice mixed with water. After you are done cleaning the surface, spray the solution on it and let it dry. The highly acidic content of lemon not only snuffs the moldy smell, but stunts the growth of the fungi.
- You can also make use of muriatic acid, commonly known as hydrochloric acid, for mold-affected bathroom tiles. Along with the smell, it can wipe out an entire mold colony. Since it is highly corrosive in nature, it is recommended for use on bathroom mold only.
- Bleach is also a good remedial ingredient, but there are speculations about if one should use this product. Experts have found that bleach remains ineffective against a mold infestation and poses as a health risk to toddlers and pets. In that case, vinegar is a safe and reliable alternative.