We always want our clothes look new forever. If we buy bright-colored clothes, we want them to stay as bright as they were at the time of buying. It can be made possible to some extent, if you take a few additional steps while washing them. Washing can actually decide the future life of your clothes. If you take it as a difficult task, you will only see the difficulties in doing it which will leave you frustrated and annoyed. You should remember the time when you were buying the garment. How excited you were to have that particular dress and how much money you have spent on it? This thought will encourage you to take up the challenge of saving your valuable possession.
Washing New Colored Clothes
- Read the care label on the garment thoroughly and carefully. It will take a few seconds but will save time later, that you will have to spend looking for solutions to repair it.
- Follow the indications provided on the label, like wash in cold water, use of a specific detergent and the drying process, as they are because they are given by experts who know each fabric and its washing techniques.
- Do not mix colored clothes with white clothes. But, sometimes if you do so, then you can use color catcher sheets that catch the bleeding color and do not allow it to run onto other clothes. Fabrics made of pastel colors do not bleed and hence, can be washed with white clothes.
- Bright colors like orange, yellow, purple, etc., can be washed together and colors like green and blue can go together.
- Try to wash dark colors together.
- Turn the clothes inside out as this prevents faster fading of the clothes from outside.
- Soak the clothes in cold water containing salt or oxygen bleach, for few minutes. (It is advisable to carry out this activity before wearing the garment for the first time.)
- Wash the clothes in cold water. A gentle wash is sufficient for colored clothes. Do not heavy wash them.
- Do not stuff the machine with clothes. The machine will be forced for tough wash as there will be a load of clothes and cause color fading.
- Make use of special laundry detergents available for colored clothes if there are any stains on the clothes.
- When washing of the clothes is done, remove them from the machine immediately as allowing them to stay there for long can lead to leaching of color on other clothes.
- Avoid the use of machine dryer to dry the clothes to prevent fading of color. Stuffing too many clothes in the dryer can also harm the clothes. They need to move freely so put them one by one or two at a time. Drying them outside will be more helpful as they also need fresh air to stay fresh.
- Make sure that you place colored clothes on one side of the rope while hanging them to dry.
General Tips to Wash Your Laundry
- Sorting the clothes is the most important step before laundering them.
- The labels on each garment will make the sorting job easier to some extent. There are clear indications on the label about the type of the fabric and the technique to wash it.
- Separate the new colored fabrics from the old ones. Also separate the clothes that should be washed by hand, especially woolen clothes.
- Check the water temperature required for washing.
- Put the correct amount of laundry detergent and the clothes in the machine. You can also make use of white vinegar to remove stains and make the clothes softer.
- Select a gentle wash at the beginning followed by a heavy wash.
- Place the clothes by spreading them out well on the rope for faster drying.
That is all you have to do to prevent your new colored clothes from faster fading and increase their life. Isn't it simple? You no longer have to worry about losing that attractive look of your favorite dress. Love your clothes and take good care of them.