This article includes tips which will guide you on how to go about the repair and replacement of refrigerator water filters.
Your refrigerator water filter is just as important as the refrigerator itself. This seemingly innocuous device has actually some very important functions to perform. The following is a list:-
- The filter removes unwanted odors and colors from the water and ice stored in the fridge. Without a good filter, your ice and water might taste and smell quite bad.
- The filter helps in removing several toxic particulate pollutants that tend to accumulate inside the fridge environment. Some of these are mercury, benzene, chlorine, lead, p-dichlorobenzene, o-dichlorobenzene, ethyl benzene, carbofuran, toxaphene, and a host of other chemicals.
- The filter prevents the water and ice stored in the refrigerator from becoming turbid due to the presence of these particulate pollutants. It helps in preventing sedimentation in the liquids.
Now, here are some things you need to remember about refrigerator water filters:-
- Refrigerator water filters are not eternal. Ideally, you will need to replace them every four to six months – at least that is what the company specifications say. However, there is no hard and fast rule that you will get to wait that much. If the water kept in your refrigerator begins giving off a disagreeable odor, then you will need to replace it sooner than that.
- Refrigerator water filters are not omnipotent. You must remember that filters will depend on the brand of your appliance. Different brands have different shapes of filters and different installations for them. So, you will need to check out specifically whether the filter you are getting is compatible with your brand or not.
- Refrigerator water filters are not fixed in their locations. There are usually different locations where they can be located for different brands. Depending on the make of your appliance, it might be affixed to the right side top or base of your fridge, to the base grille of the fridge, the ceiling of the fridge or even in the water supply line leading to the fridge. Naturally, the installation of the filter will differ depending on where the filter is to be fixed.
You will not need to repair your water filter for a long time, provided you take good care of it regularly. You have to check out the instructions for the ideal length of time the filter will work for, and when a replacement would be required. Supposing that replacement does not work for you – which you can find out if even after replacing the water filter you are not able to get rid of the odors in the fridge – then you will have to repair it. You can hunt for repair services online, or ideally you could approach the dealers themselves. They will know the best solutions for the particular make of the water filter.
However, replacement is something that you can do yourself. Depending on the type of water filter you are using, the following are some installation tips:-
Replacement of Water Filters on the Base Grille on the Freezer Side
This kind are the easiest and quickest to replace. You have to hold the end of the filter and make a quarter turn to the side it is to be unscrewed (usually the left side) and then pull it out. The new filter is to be screwed in similarly, making the opposite turn. It is as easy as replacing a light bulb.
Replacement of Water Filters on the Interior Line of the Refrigerator Compartment
Hold the filter and unscrew it till the indicator mark on the filter bracket lines up with the indicator line on the filter. The filter can now be removed. Take the new filter, remove its tab and then line it up so that its indicator mark aligns itself with the indicator on the bracket. Then screw it in the opposite direction till it secures itself. You might have to push the filter upwards to hold it in the right place. The alignment of the lines is necessary or you will not be able to remove the old filter or put in the new one in the right manner.
Replacement of Water Filters in the Center of the Ceiling
The turning and unscrewing of these filters is the same as those that fix themselves on the inner line of the frig compartment. You have to align the marks on the filter bracket and the filter itself. Put in the new filter in the same way. You will have to set these filters working by putting in some glasses of water in the dispenser in the door. This is to check for leaks. You will also have to set these filters by resetting the indicator light on the filter.
Replacement of Water Filters in the Water Supply Line of the Refrigerator
This is usually a tricky process. There could be leaks and spills and you have to be well-equipped to stop and clean them. You will have to disconnect the old filter on the inlet as well as the outlet side, and then flush out the new water filter, by making a connection of the water supply to the inlet of the filter. Continue this flushing for some time, till at least two or three gallons of water have passed through the filter. Then stop flushing and connect the water supply line to the outlet of the filter. Complete the replacement by connecting the filter on the inlet side now.