No house is free from insects, bugs, fleas, and rodents as these pests become a nuisance for all. But when these insects, especially bed bugs grow in population, you can be looking towards sleepless nights. These bugs are basically very tiny in size, oval in shape, and brown in color. It is a good thing that they can't fly but the bad part is that they can crawl in our mattresses and clothes. This way, they feed off their hosts and travel from one place to another. So the first rule of thumb would be - if you know someone who has bed bugs issue, DO NOT go near them and come home to immediately take a shower and throw your clothes in the laundry. But unfortunately, that's not how you can kill or get rid of these bugs when they have already spread through your house (wooden frames, beds, carpets, rugs, kitchen cabinets, crevices of furniture, etc).
Even though your first instinct would be to call an exterminator, but certain home remedies can just be the solution you are searching for. Keeping this in mind, we thought of putting an article together so that we can find the answer to, 'how to kill bugs naturally; without using any commercial products'. To rid your home of this pesky nuisance, read the rest of the article and find out natural ways to kill these bugs.
Can You Kill Bed Bugs Naturally?
Although there are various insecticides available in market which can effectively kill bugs, many people feel the need to try natural, at home solutions to killing the bugs. So if you are one of those environmentalist or would rather stay away from the harmful effects of insecticides, then here are some natural remedies for you to follow.
- When you are not sure where the bugs might be hiding, it's a good idea to vacuum around the house. Vacuum everything in sight like bed, carpets, rugs, curtains, and even floors.
- Apart from vacuuming, steam cleaners can also do the trick. The reason is the heat from the steam cleaner kills bugs and cleans surfaces as well. All you have to do is keep the temperature between 175ºF to 180ºF and you are sure to get those little suckers.
- If you're strictly against commercial insecticides, then how about natural ones? Sprinkle diatomaceous earth over the beds, mattresses, crevices in the furniture, couch, rugs, carpets, and kitchen cabinets. Diatomaceous earth is a powder insecticide that will dehydrate and kill the bugs.
- Many a time, after a trip, people find that their home is infested with bugs. So while traveling, do remember to wrap your luggage in plastic because that keeps the bugs out of your clothes and away from your home.
- If you want to know how to kill the bugs that may be on your clothes, then you need to wash the clothes immediately. Make sure that you wash clothes in hot water and then place them in the dryer. Heat, especially over 120ºF is too much for them to take and will kill them.
- Use rubbing alcohol to kill bugs on the spot. If you find the bugs on your mattresses, clothes, or anywhere around the house, get rubbing alcohol and a brush to kill them. Rubbing alcohol also kills the eggs.
All these tips are to help you kill bugs and their eggs. You want to stop them from multiplying and that is why you should take proper care and precautions. The above mentioned tips have already taught you on what kills bugs; now as for the precautions part, if there are any cracks or crevices in wooden frames and furniture with plaster and glue.
Apart from the natural remedies to kill these bugs, at Buzzle, you can also read an article on what do bed bug bites look like if you are not sure whether the bugs are in your house or not. Until then... sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.