A mold infestation is a serious problem that must never be overlooked by home owners. The following write-up provides information on what kills mold along with steps that should be followed to prevent an infestation.
Commonly known as black mold, Stachybotrys chartarum is one of the species of fungi that grows as unsightly blackish-green patches on walls, damp surfaces or decaying organic matter. Certain species release biologically active compounds called mycotoxins. Exposure to these chemicals can make you vulnerable to several diseases. If you spot such patches in your home, you must use mold detection kits and follow certain tried-and-tested remedies for removing mold from your home or call professionals for the same.
How to Get Rid of Black Mold
So, what kills mold the best? Well, the market is flooded with several types of mold and mildew removers. You could either use these products or try simple household cleaning products for getting rid of this fungus.
- If you notice unsightly black patches on the tiles, all you need to do is get your hands on a bottle of vinegar. Just pour some white distilled vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on the affected are. Wait for about 10 minutes and scrub it off using a brush.
- This fungus can also grow around soap residues, so you can prevent it from growing by wiping off soap scum and keeping the bathtub and shower clean.
- Though vinegar definitely helps in getting rid of this fungus, those of you who are not keen on using vinegar can use baking soda. Add baking soda and dish-washing liquid to hot water and apply it on the infested area. Scrub it off after 15 minutes.
- If you observe fungus on drywall, you should add half a cup of chlorine bleach to a gallon of water. Dip a clean sponge in this solution. Make sure that you wear gloves before you apply it on the infested area. Leave it on for about 15 minutes. Add a little dish-washing liquid to a bucket of clean water. Use this solution to clean the infested area. Wash this area with clean water and dry it with a dry towel.
- Sometimes fungus can also be seen on carpets and rugs. If you spot it on your carpets or rugs, first remove it with a vacuum cleaner. While doing so, cover your face with a mask and wear gloves. You can also take the carpet outside and clean it with a broom. If you are using a vacuum cleaner, throw away the vacuum cleaner bag as soon as possible. Now you need to make a solution by adding dish-washing liquid to lukewarm water. Apply the solution on the carpet and leave it on for about 10 minutes. Now wash the carpet with water and blot it dry with a clean towel. You can also use a solution made by adding ammonia to lukewarm water.
- If you need to get rid of fungus from wood, you must vacuum the affected wood with a high-efficiency particulate air filter. Add detergent to water and clean the affected wood with this solution. Once the black patches are no longer visible, use a damp cloth for cleaning the wood.
People who live in regions where the humidity levels are high are more likely to face this problem. Not only do these dirty patches make your home look dirty, it may also make one susceptible to health problems. If your home is infested with this fungus, you can follow the aforementioned remedies to get rid of the unsightly patches of mold. Do take precautionary measures to prevent the infestation in future.